2.19.2005

Ask the Fruitcake Lady

For the first time in my life I've chosen a personal hero. I was never that into sports growing up, movie stars, or specific musicians. Especially none that I thought were worthy of being in a special position to me. But this star of Jay Leno's "Ask the Fruitcake Lady" has risen to the rank of 'hero' in my book. I don't think I've had more respect for any one person before. Anyway, I digress, I just wanted to share.

Marie Rudisill is the Fruitcake Lady. She's a 93-year-old Floridian with a unique history. For starters, she's the aunt of famed American novelist Truman Capote. In fact, she lived with Truman during his childhood and helped raise him during his formative years in Alabama and New York City.

Marie was born and raised in Alabama. She married James Rudisill in 1939. She has a son and three grandchildren. She's also the owner of Chrissy, a pit bull terrier.

Marie Rudisill is the author of eight books including "Fruitcake, Memories of Truman Capote & Sook." It was her fruitcake book that led to her first appearance on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" in December of 2000. Marie taught Jay and Mel Gibson how to make a fruitcake. The segment is considered a "Tonight Show" classic and earned Marie the title of "The Fruitcake Lady." She has since returned to NBC in Burbank to cook cherry pie with Cuba Gooding Jr., stuff a turkey with Hugh Grant and make another fruitcake with Tom Cruise. When asked which of her cooking partners she'd most like to end up with on a deserted island, Marie replied, "None of them. I prefer Arnold Schwarzenegger because he's so clean-cut, has a good sense of humor and would be a lot of fun to have around."

In 2002, Marie began giving millions of Americans her own special advice in her "Ask the Fruitcake Lady" segments. Audience members, viewers and web surfers have the opportunity to ask the Fruitcake Lady questions. Her no-nonsense answers come straight from a place that is 93 years in the making.
Ask the Fruitcake Lady

A sample (verbatim):

"When my wife and I want to make love she lights candles to get in the mood. The only problem is she looks better in the dark. What should I do fruitcake lady?"

"You... You're a real bastard you know that? If I was your wife I'd.. I'd kick you.... I'd light one of those candles, and shove it up your ass."

... my hero.

No comments: