4.02.2005

Ice Blow Out on North Shore



      So I was up the shore at a rather small river on thursday when I heard a rumbling, booming behind me. I turned to see that the water level raised considerably and instantly and tons of huge slabs of ice came exploding down the river and out into the lake. I guess this happens every year in the spring when there is enough of a melt. Ice dams are formed up stream in any river or creek and could be miles away, with water building behind it until it finally bursts and it can have quite a forceful effect. One person I was talking to said he had been at the French river one time some years ago when this happened and claimed there was a 20 foot wall of water. Had to run to get out of the way. Amazing.


      Here is the ice flowing out into the lake after it all came smashing down the river, now just a big slushy:

No comments: