10.17.2003

Memories.

I hold both Low's set during A Very Duluth Christmas, and the millenium New Year's Eve party as my favorite NorShor memories by far. Ca-chee and I danced to "Just Like Christmas," and Starfire, I'm glad that you mentioned that there was fake snow, because I've always thought that that was a figment of my imagination--like I was remembering it as being more beautiful that it really was. I'm happy to know that it was actually that beautiful. Likewise, the love and happiness in the air during the millenium party was definitely worth remembering. There's nothing better than a huge theater full of people who are relieved that the world isn't going to blow up. Afterwards, we all went to the Voyageur Motel, and it was snowing big fat flakes for real. No one was on the street. It was incredible.

Certain shows need no explanation to the people who were there. Giljunko at Homegrown 3. Mayfly at Duluth Does Dylan. Any of Lindquist's birthday parties.

It was so amazing a few years back when EVERYBODY would ALWAYS dance no matter who the band was. Donny Ness would charge down into the mezzanine and inform all the people sitting at tables that they would have to move, and then he'd recruit people to stack the tables and chairs. Then, we'd all get funky and groovy, usually to the amazement and utter delight of the band. This was what set the Shor apart from practically any other venue in the state.

I wish I had been at that amazing Sadies show where no one showed up. I once asked the Sadies themselves about it, and not only did they remember it, but they appreciated it too.

Reading the comment about O'Malley ending up in the ER reminded me of the two occasions I wound up in the ER after a night at the NorShor. The first was the time I got locked INSIDE the main theater. It was after an art show at the Limbo Gallery--too much wine, too much trust. Mr. Lundgren and I entered the main theater through the back of the gallery, and soon, viola! We're locked in and trapped. We climbed out through a small opening in the avenue side exit, and I got my hand slammed in the pigeon-shit-encrusted steel door. Then, we entered the mez again, and I drank and danced all night with a bloody hand before going to the hospital for a tetanus shot.

The second time was much more serious. It was at the second (I think) Undergroundhog Day, when Cave Music played. Charging the stage while inspired by the inital bars of "Dead Dogs Must Die," I rolled my ankle. I didn't care. Cave Music was playing. I freaked out the rest of the night and drank a lot. When I got home, I took off my shoe and the pain was excruciating. I stayed up all night in agony, then went to the ER the next morning. My foot wasn't broken, but I'd torn a lot of soft tissue, and had to be on crutches for a few weeks. It didn't heal completely for about 8 months. That was both dumb and awesome.

But the best ER story from the NorShor was when 3-D Jesus v. 2.3 Beta accidentally clobbered the Raven with his guitar onstage. Hardcore as only a NorShor rawk star can be, the Raven went to the ER, got x-rayed, found out her jaw was broken, then came back to the Shor to self-medicate with tequila.

Beauty, beauty, beauty.

No comments: