12.24.2003

My favorite drive of the year.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah deck the halls and all that. I'm heading home in a couple hours and looking forward to a smooth drive and an overdose of Christmas music. I'll tune in RadioK till they go off the air at dark then just scan the radio dial for all the old faves. Just outside of Owatonna I will prolly play the Low Christmas record and as I cruise past Blooming Prairie I'll listen to the Gear Daddies. Ah traditions.

8 years ago or so I was driving home late on Christmas Eve through a snowstorm and when I was just outside of Austin I decided to take the back roads in. On a very deserted road I came across a car in the ditch that was mostly drifted over. I pulled over and realized that there were two young guys in the car who were cold and probably beginning to suffer from carbon monoxide poisining beacause of the snow drifting around the tail pipe. I woke them up, helped them into my car and called an ambulance.

I always wonder what would have happened if I had not gone home that way.

So have your selves some happy holidays. When family gets stressful take a walk or go see "Return of the King" for the 2nd or 3rd time. I'm home on Friday just in time for the bad sweater party at the Looch.

peace.

No comments: