12.05.2003

one fine day in the skywalk

This is a story that actually happened five years ago. But this wonderful medium didn't exist then. So I'll tell it now.

I had just moved to Duluth. Actually, I hadn't even moved yet, I was commuting weekly from a large metropolitan area to the south which shall remain nameless. (FYI, the Edgetown Motel had pretty good weekly rates -- $100/week at the time. That's the Edgetown, the David Lynch-y place past Menard's, not the Edgewater.)

Walking throught the skywalk from the DECC towards downtown, a guy passed my and was walking in front of me. There were quite a few people in the skyway. When he got to the end -- where it splits and goes left and right -- he stopped and bent at the waist a little bit. Then laying a finger aside of his nose, and giving a nod, he shot a huge glob of snot out onto the floor.

As I stepped around his quivering, semi-opaque pile of goo, I wondered what the hell kind of place I was moving to. Sure, there's only 1 or 2 Taco Bells here, but certainly it was more civilized than this.

Turns out Duluth is just fine. The only other time snot has been flying towards me is because of my kids.

No comments: