5.27.2004

Movie Mania!

I have had movies on the brain lately. Recently I became a 1/3 member of a Netflix subscription and this has been wonderful so far. Now I don't have to go to the Movie shop and stare blankly at the stacks and wonder what the hell I want to watch. Instead I line up my choices online while reading reviews and recommendations. The trouble with this is I WANT MORE! I want to go to the Theaters and see first run Indie movies and art films. I want a drive-in theater. I want to drink while watching my films.

Well my friends are you in luck.

Several good things are happening or will soon be happening in Duluth to scratch our cinematic itch.

1. The NorShor is opening their screen free of charge to anybody that would like to show a movie. In today's Duluth News Tribune Wave section is an article about it. This is a nice new option in town. The movies will be free and this will offset the new higher prices of hooch at the Shor.

2. The Duluth Public Library has also been showing monthly movies in that really green room in the basement. I went to the first one and received a 5 dollar gift card for Caribou Coffee. I am not sure if this will continue through the summer but it is a nice addition. Smuggled booze might be noticed in the stuffy environment.

Now comes the fun part.

3. Movies and music in the park. This has been my dream for some time but I am finally going to do it. Initially I wanted to have this take place in Leif Erickson Park but that would have meant dealing with the city, finding a big screen, raising money, blah blah blah. Now I want to do it at the Sailboat Park. That is the name I am giving the park located at 7 Avenue West and Superior St. The city refers to it as a triangle but it is so much more. The shape of the structure protects from the wind and the noise of Superior St is deflected. It will comfortably seat 30-40 folks and the walls are white, so no screen needed. As far as music goes I envision completely acoustic performances for a half hour or so till it gets dark enough to start the flick.

Movies will be chosen by a diferent person each week and that person will also pick the music act and introduce the movie. I think Tuesdays will be a good day to do this and I want to start as soon as possible. This saturday we may have a dry run to see how it works, weather permitting of course.

Does anyone have a video projector?

4. You may all be aware of the new movie Theater being built next to the DECC. I for one am very excited about this but I think we need to let the owners of CEC Theaters know that we want more. We want more than the same Hollywood Shlock playing at two or three of their theaters. By my count they will now have 35 screens in the Duluth/Superior area. I have heard that they plan on turning the Haines Rd Theater into a second run venue which would take eight screens away from new movies but that leaves 27 screens to program.

I proprose that we form an informal lobbying organization to bring better movies to the Twin Ports. I believe that there is more than enough support to make it work. If anyone out there would be interested in forming this group with me send an email.

So there you have it. Four reasons to be excited. Is there anything I missed?

5. How could I forget. Free Range Film Fest

No comments: