5.13.2004

Sick...

I hate it when you're sick and trying to fight it off. The sick just won't let go; and it keeps pummeling you and making your life hell for a few days. You can't sleep, you can't or don't want to eat, and working-forget about it. That's the worst. Concentration is a minimum, you're stuck, sicking away and feeling horrible, not only because you genuinely feel like hammered shit, but because everyone around you is soon going to be in on this very un-funny joke. If they're not already, you're going to give it to them in the form of whatever it is that you have.
When I was a kid, I used to go through major spells of sick. Sometimes, they'd have to take me to the E.R. and the only way they could bring my fever down was to put me in ice water. That obviously didn't sit too well with me. I can remember screaming bloody murder as my folks and the nurses and doctors attempted to keep me calm and hold me down. Not an easy task. It's kind of eerie for one of my first memories. All I could see was white. White walls, white tub, and white faces behind white masks; the panic and screams that I heard in my head being my own. The merciless grip of cold as the ice and water surrounded me.
As I got older, those spells and their intensity diminished. I still get sick, but not as bad as I used to. I'm still afraid of water, though.

No comments: